Hi everyone ,
This week I would like to share with you my thoughts toward design phase in a project .Basically doing design in a presentation is quite challenging .
We have done so many PowerPoint presentations and I think we know that the design is very important because it produces the blueprint for
the entire project.
Outlining the content
The very first step of a great PowerPoint presentation is to pare
down your content and refine your message.I have seen many presentations ,( I might have done this mistake in my presentations too ) ,having too much
information in one slide and even more than that not having a clear ,concise and
memorable point.
So first of all we should spent some time to think about our
slides and what it needs to tell the audience in a simply and easy way
.what is exactly that we want our slides to say and how we can convey that in
as few words as possible .Beginning with the title, what do we want someone to
know about our slide and have it as clear as possible .
Once we have our point and we’ve written out the content for our
slides we can simplify our sentences even further .So instead of writing all
our content out in full sentences we can turn it into short statements ,or just
remove things from your slide and put them into your talking notes so you can
still bring them up .But sometimes we need to keep more text on the slides than
we would like to ,because the presentation needs to stand on its own without
you there talking over it .In this case the best we can do is to divide it up
into multiple slides .
Creating flowcharts
I have used flowcharts in my presentations to explain processes in
which steps appears as a symbol or when I wanted to have the main idea branched into a few other topics.
You can align shapes or symbols with words so it would be
clearer.I think that it is very important to use flowcharts in a presentation
,with a starting and a ending point and all the elements connected to each
other you can support the message you want to share with your audience.
Specifying screen design
We all like to choose theme and templates that fits to our
presentation .I personally like to search for slide design and pick elements
that I like and apply them to my content.
Also there are ways to download different themes according to your
needs .
Create storyboards
The Storyboarding feature in PowerPoint is an easy to use tool ,that helps you to turn your ideas into visuals through animations,shapes and text ,making it easier for instant feedback and modifications until the design of final product.
We all know that PowerPoint is a visual medium and often it feels
like we have to be more professional in order to know how to create great
slides.
Something that can help to make our presentation more interesting is to replace
words with visuals or simply adding them in .We can do that by breaking up the
text into chunks and by adding visual elements like picture,graphics icons or
simply shapes.
For example in my presentation last week I’ve simply added colored
and outline shapes around my text in a way that makes the overall slide more
visual .Images and icons are a good choice too.
I also like to include
white space in slides for example if you chunk up the content into blocks and bring
them closer your slide will be easier to look at .
To sum up , everything you do, you should have your audience in mind ,make sure all your slides are properly aligned ,use "menus "to better control your slides or objects design and keep it simple .
Thank you !
#commentsarewelcomed
Hi Eriola, I totally agree when you say that in order to make the presentation interesting is to break up the text into chunks and add visual elements like picture,graphics icons or simply shapes.
ReplyDeleteI have done the same thing and it is a good way.
I enjoyed reading this post. :)
The information you provided in your blog was very helpful. I also like to include images and icons to make my presentations more visual rather than just build-up information about the topic. As always it's a pleasure to read your work.
ReplyDeleteHello Eriola! I enjoyed reading your blog. It was well-structured and what I loved the most is that you had added your experience. I agree that we have to refine the message, to use flowcharts and to add visual elements in order for our project to be interesting. Well done!
ReplyDelete