Hi guys ,
We as teachers can choose whether to be more concerned with detailed description of our student performance rather than a grade or an instrument to get a numeric value for their learning achievement .Here we are talking about assessment in qualitative terms rather then in quantitative terms .
Basically we have standardized test and traditional forms of assessment and in the other hand performance based assessments that are more likely to use meaningful ,context embedded tasks through collaborative activities .Also it provides feedback on student strengths and weaknesses ,provide information for learning and teaching that result in improved student performance .
There are three types of of performance based assessment :performances ,porfolios,projects.
The portfolio assessment model:
It includes six level of assessment activities :(1)identify a purpose and focus for the portfolio (2) plan portfolio content (3) design a portfolio analysis procedure (4)platform for the portfolio's instructional effect (5)identify the procedures to verify the portfolio content (6)implement the model .
Using portfolio as an assessment represents their ability to work hard toward long term goals .It measures student growth over a longer period of time .There can be stored each student made material and archive their work and things become very easy o find as a teacher .Students can see their own accomplishments and teachers can see their students accomplishments too.
I have previously mentioned that it is important to foccuss in the skill you want to teach to your students and want them to progress .E-porfolio is one way that we can use to focus on students growth on a certain skill .Beside assessing skills you can assess different courses or knowledge.In the other hand we have the involvement of students in their assessment .When students gather their work to create their portfolio they are reflecting on their learning and also being actively engaged .
Google sites work perfectly for e-portfolios .After creating their pages students can upload photos videos ,text .I think that the teacher can also have its own page and so can instruct and guide the students .The teacher can provide each week a series of questions in order to guide the students during their work and this way students wont find the task overwhelming .
E-surveys
You can create a survey ,for example using surveymoncey.com you can analyze the responses and provide some kind of graphic detail about the information.You also can view through all of the written responses and see the sort of information you get in terms of percentages.
One activity that I am thinking of using E-surveys assessment when I want to know the background and the information that my students already have related to the topic I am going to teach .
Another case would be when I want to know what do they understand by a term .
E-QUIZZES
Quizzstar is one of the online tools that can be used for creating quizzes.For example the teacher can create personalized quizzes focusing on the student level and the objectives and post it in each student protopage e-portfolio site. Students also can create quizzes to gather information and then use the quiz result along with other materials that thay have gathered and created for their Portfolio .
Last,e-rubrics
Rubrics can act equally as an assessment instrument or as an instructional that guides students . For example the rubric that our teacher uses to assess our blog posts serves both ,to instruct us what a good post should and also for the assessment process.The same is the use of rubrics in assessing portfolios .
I've checked the two rubrics creating tools that are suggested in the chapter of E-assessment and I recommend Rubistar .
thank you for your time
#commentsarewelcommed#
Thank you for sharing your favourite tools and recommending those to us. I haven't used Rubistar , but I will try for sure.
ReplyDeleteWell done , Eriola!😊
Hello Eriola!
ReplyDeleteYour post is very helpful and informative, as always. I totally agree with you that the assessment should not be just a mark. It should be focused more on the process rather than on the product(grades). I like how you have given us different examples of E-assessment and how to use them. Great job! :)